Friday 8 August 2008

The Whitlams years

TIM Freedman is proud of his work, but admits not all the songs have come up trumps, James Wigney writes.


Tim Freedman's appraisal of his career when compiling The Best of the Whitlams collection was much like the man - frank and unsentimental.


As the sole surviving founding member of one of the country's most successful and reliable bands, Freedman has good reason to bask in the glory of six albums and a string of hits such as No Aphrodisiac, Blow Up the Pokies and Fall For You.


But proud as he is of the 20 tracks on the compilation, and plenty that didn't make it, the singer/songwriter/pianist admits there are a good few stinkers in the back catalogue as well.


"There are always one or two songs on an album that are misfires," he says.

"The third track on Eternal Nightcap is a shocker. It's called Love is Everywhere and I can't believe that album did so well when it had such a stinking piece of failed pop on it.


"I'm not a huge fan of my stuff - I think I have had my moments - I think I have had some great phrases, but I haven't reinvented the wheel musically."






More info